Resources & Freebies
Questions to Ask a Doula
- What training have you had? (If a doula is certified, you might consider checking with the organization.)
- Do you have one or more backup doulas for times when you are not available? May we meet her/them?
- What is your fee, what does it include and what are your refund policies?
- Tell me about your experience as a birth doula.
- What is your philosophy about birth and supporting women and their partners through labor?
- May we meet to discuss our birth plans and the role you will play in supporting me through birth?
- May we call you with questions or concerns before and after the birth?
- When do you try to join women in labor? Do you come to our home or meet us at the place of birth?
- Do you meet with us after the birth to review the labor and answer questions?Conduct an in-person interview.
It is a good idea for both you and your partner to meet doula candidates to decide if they are compatible with your family.
- Are they kind, warm and enthusiastic?
- Are they knowledgeable?
- Do they communicate well?
- Are they good listeners?
- Are they comfortable with your choices or do they seem to have their own agenda?
- Do you feel at ease with them?
The way that you feel with a doula is more important than the number of births that they have attended or how many new families they have nurtured.
Courtesy of DONA International